What is the Bringing Baby Home Program about?
Even the strongest relationships are strained during the transition to parenthood. Lack of sleep, never-ending housework and new fiscal concerns can lead to profound stress and a decline in marital satisfaction – all of which affect baby’s care. Not surprisingly, 69% of new parents experience conflict, disappointment and hurt feelings. each shows that within 3 years after birth of a child, approximately 2/3 of couples experience a significant drop in the quality of their relationship and have a dramatic increase in conflict and hostility (Gottman).Our research-based Bringing Baby Home workshops prepare couples for life with baby and helps them be the best parenting team possible. In a relaxed and supportive environment, parents learn to strengthen their relationship and foster baby’s development during this challenging time. They build on what Dr. Gottman and colleagues found is the best predictor of marital adjustment after baby arrives: the quality of friendship in the marriage.
This 12-hour workshop helps parents gain relationship/communication skills, to regulate conflict, discover each other on a deeper level and prepares them to be partners in parenting while continuing to grow a loving couple relationship. The Gottmans’ research shows that this workshop helps couples to enhance their relationship satisfaction after the birth of their child.
My first observation of this program, having been married for 8 years with 4 kids, was, “I wish I would have went after my first child!” The insights and workable relationship tools are invaluable to get to know your partner and your children more intimately on a continuing basis and have skills to work through the everyday stresses of life.
In this 2-day workshop, presented in either a weekend format or as a series, parents will learn to:
- Intimacy and conflict regulation skills Interact with your baby in a positive way
- Keep both parents involved
- Deal with conflict successfully
- Stay connected with your partner
- Strengthen your friendship
- Learn how to cope constructively with the changes brought about by the birth of a child.
- Learn how to promote the development of a healthier infant and assist your child in their emotional, social, cognitive, and physical development.
- Learn how to deal with the “baby blues” and decrease the chance of postpartum depression.
- Learn valuable insights from a research based and research tested program.
- Create a family legacy.
- Learn how to give your child the gift of a happy and healthy family.
Bringing Baby Home
Whitefish Bay, WI